Friday, March 26, 2010

our final soccer match

It seems like the end of the school year is hurling towards us and there's nothing I can do to slow it down! Yesterday, on Friday afternoon, we had our last soccer game of the year. The kids played hard and fought through till the end, and we ended up tied 4-4.



I'm so proud of how far they've come this year. Some of them came in being amazing athletes-in-the-making already and have grown tremendously in their skills and technique. Others, like my one little girl Daniella, started out not being able to dribble and was scared of the ball. You should have seen her yesterday. Hustling all over the place, staying in her position (which has been the biggest challenge for ALL my kiddos this year), and getting in there for the ball.




It's so much fun to watch these kids over the course of an entire school year, seeing the transformation take place. It has definitely had its challenges (there have been MANY horrible calls by the refs) but overall I am really thankful for the opportunity to get out of the classroom and get to spend time with the kids in a different environment.



The kids have been such a joy to my life. Early on in the season, I had to make the rule, "No holding hands in soccer!" because one of my little guys, Jogi (pronounced like Georgie without the 'r') was constantly trying to grab my hand during practice. :)



That's Jogi on the right, making the funny face. Apparently I go through my soccer matches with a constant, "What on earth are they doing out there?" face, as was made evident by the 3 pics Alisha took of me, all with that same perplexed look :)







The last month or so, we've been working on "Making a V" when our teammate has the ball. I knew they'd have no idea what '45' or '90' were (getting yourself at a 45 degree angle or a 90 degree angle from your teammate so they could pass to you, knowing exactly where you are) so we made up "make a V" to represent getting in front of them and to the side of them so you could get open for a pass. I love hearing Wasswa say it, in his thick Ugandan accent. There isn't even a way I can write it... I'll have to ask him to say it for me on video!



And sweet Jonah, our goal-keeper. He's always trying to do his best, but he also wants to give me his reasoning for every decision. "Miss Kristi, I let that one go because..." "Miss Kristi, I think that when I kicked that one out, I should have..." :) It's so fun to hear! (after the game, or after practice, I tell him that he can share whatever thoughts he has, just not in the middle of a match or practice.)







Just a couple more pictures from yesterday's match...



Here's Graysen hustling on the field. Yes, his shirt is 10 sizes too big!







Here are all seven of my players on the field, all in one shot. I can imagine I was yelling, "Heritage, SPREAD OUT!!!" as Alisha took this pic. (Thanks Alisha!!!!)


From left to right: Ethan (blue shirt), Sonya (yellow #15), Jogi (yellow behind), Matthew (blue #8), Adam (blue #14 - yes, they're twins), Akuc (yellow #9), and Wasswa (yellow #10)






Here we have Emanuel and Annie, going for the same ball maybe? Our team definitely has a proclivity to take the ball away from one another. One-track minds, I tell ya. "Gotta get the ball, gotta get the ball..." :)




And, of course, our team picture. We had 15 kids for the match! :)



SUCH A GREAT SEASON, HERITAGE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment