One thing that I have felt the most longing for in California has been fresh fruits and veggies. I miss tomatoes from the vine, oranges from the orchard, nectarines from the backyard tree.
Here in our part of Uganda, there are definitely a lot of fruit and veggies available. You can buy mangos, bananas, and avocados around every corner. But my 'staple' fruits like fresh tomatoes, pears, apples, oranges, peaches, plums, grapes, watermelon, cantelope, etc. are either more difficult to come by, incredibly expensive, or not very good-tasting.
Normally, I've been surviving on bananas. On Monday, though, my friend told me about this little market where she had just purchased PLUMS and CORN on the COB. I was ecstatic and immediately made plans to go yesterday after Jill and I went to the baby's home.
When I got home, I was in heaven. Not only were they real plums, but they tasted amazing! They're cute little miniature plums, which make them readily available for snacking on.
Just another reminder that it's the little blessings, the little creations, the little smiles, & the little fruits that God has put in my life that serve as constant, daily reminders to His Presence in my life.
That post made:
ReplyDelete-my mouth water
-me grateful for the availability of food
-me want to go Valley Produce after school today
Thanks!! :)