Wednesday, December 2, 2009

hospice AFRICA

It seems like everywhere I turn, it's Christmas already! I don't know how it is in the States right now, but there are Christmas trees in almost every home I've been to in the last few days, there's a tree in the lobby at school, and all of the classrooms seem to be learning Christmas-y things. ... I can't help but think - it's only December 2nd everyone!

One wonderful part of it being December already is that it means we're closer to the Hospice Africa Christmas party. Hospice Africa is an organization that helps children who have been diagnosed with cancer here in Uganda. They provide treatment, support, food, and resources for the children and their families as they go through different treatment methods. The kids range in age from about 4 til their teen years.

A few weeks ago, we had two ladies come to Heritage from Hospice Africa to talk to the students about what exactly it is they do, and how our kids can help them. As a school, we've decided to bring in gifts that will then be delivered to the kids at Hospice Africa at their annual Christmas party, which is next week. I'm so excited for this...

The kids come from all over, not only in Kampala. Once a week, the organization sends out the buses to pick up the children and bring them in for a 'real' meal to help provide nourishment for their healing. The ladies who came to our school told us that, a week before, their buses had broken and they weren't able to make the rounds to pick anyone up. Most of the kids still walked the entire way from their home and village to the center, so that they could receive that one good meal. They told us that one boy walked for 3 1/2 hours to get there.

My heart has been so touched by our kids' responses to all this. The 6th graders were emphatic and excited about going out and buying presents for these kids who have so little. In order to get pictures for the yearbook, I actually get to go along with one or two kids from each grade level and present the gifts to the children at their Christmas party. I can't think of a way that I'd rather begin this Christmas season.


~

In an effort to keep the kids thinking about and remembering those kids who are sick, and those who this might be the last Christmas for, we've been typing letters to the Hospica Africa kids in Computer lab. I've been doing this with the 2md, 3rd, and 4th graders. My 6th graders and I have our class on Monday set aside to make lots of decorations and gift cards for the kids too.

I thought several of the 2nd graders' letters were really sweet, so I thought I'd share a few excerpts with you :)

Merry Christmas Jesus LOVES YOU AND SO DO I. God loves you Forever.
From Adam



Merry Chrisemas!
GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!~~~~~~

JESUS LOVES YOU!!!!!!~~~~~~
From:Harim
To:Hospice Friend



Hello! I am Shanil! I am so sorry that you are sick and I am 7 years old and I am Filipino.


I live in Kampala, Uganda. My favorite game is soccer my favorite color is silver merry Christmas! Jesus loves you and so do I!

From wasswa


Dear friend
hello!
How are you? My name is Sonya. Do you have a brother or a sister? Do you have a pet ? one time I saw a cow on the road! I hope you have a merry Christmas! I have two brothers. We love you. From Sonya.



Hello
My name is Matthew Ho sorry you are sick, I am 7 years old. merry Christmas!!! My favorite color is gold my favorite number is 100 my favorite game is tag



HELLO MY NAME IS JAMES. I AM SEVEN YEARS OLD
I LIVE IN Uganda MY FAVORITE game hide and seek.

My favorite COLOR IS BLUE. What is name?*** My FAVORITE FOOD IS PIZZA

Merry christmas!
From James sentiba jonathan


~

May we all be remembering the true meaning of Christmas as we get closer and closer to it...

1 comment:

  1. I never tried to re-post my comment here the last time my Internet crashed :(

    I loved this post, too. I know we already talked about it, but the darling girl that randomly mentioned the cow in the road won my heart. So precious! Miss you bunches, Kris.

    ReplyDelete