Twas the night before school started when all through the house,
not a person was sleeping, for we were arouse(d).
All the lesson plans done... err... "Sort of," I declare,
In hopes that the children would not even be there.
My class expectations still swirled in my head,
while hoping somehow to build up street cred.
One bulletin board done, and one fallen-down map,
I needed to settle in for the night before's nap.
When suddenly I realized, in the moment latter,
surely my first day would not make me blather.
Away to my bed I hopped in a dash,
Making sure to put away my drive called a flash.
... (this is me skipping many, many lines of the actual poem)...
On Math, and on Science! On Hist'ry and English!
Now Art and now Bible and now French with a swish!
To write on the chalkboard, to write on the wall,
It's time to teach again, teach again, teach again all.
In anticipation of what lay ahead in the morn',
I was suddenly feeling slightly reborn.
My nerves were subsiding, laid by the way side,
"Sixth graders!" I said, "oh, why would I hide?"
I put on my p.j.s and gave a good sissle,
And fell asleep thinking of all bells and whistles.
And I know tomorrow will be a day of DELIGHT,
so Happy First Day of School to all, and to all a good night!!!
You are quite the poet, Kristi. :) It made me smile (especially the part when you "sissled"). Praying for you and your first day of school!
ReplyDeleteWoohoo!! I loved the poem... how did your first day go?? (And by this time, how have the first couple days been??)
ReplyDelete