I'm going to be leaving Simi on July 30th, even though I haven't purchased my ticket yet (buying it just makes it seem so REAL, you know?) and then probably won't be back until around June 10th or so... I was thinking: how cool would it be to travel around Africa for the two weeks we have for Christmas break? Maybe go down to Kenya, or up to the Nile? Not thinking too seriously about the 'vacation' aspects yet, but I'm sure there'll be more on that later!
WHO: Me :)
WHAT: Teaching 6th grade at Heritage International School, a school that's under the direction and rules associated with ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) I'll also be teaching the Yearbook class, since the school has working computers and (for the most part) working Internet
WHERE: Muyenga, Kampala, Uganda
WHEN: I'll leave July 30th and it's basically a two-day flight, but training will be August 3rd - 7th and the kids will come to school on Aug 10th!!!
WHY: Because I love Jesus :) and want to use the blessings that I've been given to impact and serve others...
Some of the following things = important. Others = things to do before my mom's insurance runs out when I'm not a full-time student anymore!
I ...
- filled out and sent in my information for my passport
- am going to get a new pair of glasses
- have planned out my potential bulletin boards
- found out I've already had Hep B shots!
- have an appointment to get my shots
- have glanced over my textbooks (preparation or procrastination - that is the question!)
- am getting my teeth cleaned next week
- am planning on going to Wells Fargo tomorrow to order about 500,000 UGX! crazy...
I have to wait til next week to hear back from World Gospel Mission, the missions group I'm planning on going through, to get the final steps done in order to set up the support aspect of my teaching and traveling. It's all in God's time and I'm surprisingly not stressed out about anything; He's in control!
On another note, I heard a quote today from the Cornerstone podcast, from a couple who's leaving to do missionwork in Indonesia; the husband said, "We need to live our lives in a way that DEMANDS an explanation!" It's so interesting to me how different people have really different reactions to me traveling to Uganda. Most friends and people I know are incredibly excited about this exciting adventure that awaits and to see what God has in store! There are also others who question why I want to travel to a 'dangerous' area when I've been offered teaching positions in California... I can only pray that God can use me as a vessel to truly live in a way that requires me to explain myself for others to understand WHY I would want to travel across the globe to love on these kids and experience being outside of my comfort zone.
Just as a side note, I'm getting somewhere around a MILLION shots tomorrow, so if you could keep that in your prayers, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!! (and I get it, it's just a silly little needle going a little bit into my skin, and yet...) :)
yay another update! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the further info about your trip and sorry you had to get all those shots. I should have been more sympathetic when I talked to you on the phone instead of so interested in making sure you were getting the rights ones.
...those tetanus ones are killer! Hang in there while you feel like you have a dead arm for a day or two. :) I would have been just as scared (and asking for prayer) to receive that many shots. They're much easier to give than receive.
Anyways, I'm excited to HANG OUT on Saturday and more before you head out! I've miss you tons!
Hope the shots went well...couldn't be worse than giving blood...I'm excited for you as you get ready to head to Uganda and live your life in a way that does demand an explanation for the hope that is within you. For Christmas I definitely say go to Kenya and get out to the bush on a safari, it is incredible! Hoping and praying the details are coming together for you as you get closer to heading to Uganda. Be sure to get a settlers game in before you go and get ready for our online game when you're in Africa!
ReplyDelete